Main: 888.703.1110 (Ext. 2)
- Juris Doctor, Temple University
- Master of Science - Chemistry, Purdue University
- Bachelor of Arts - Chemistry. Goshen College
- District of Columbia
- Pennsylvania (inactive)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Sam Burkholder has wide-ranging experience in diverse aspects of patent law, including patent preparation and prosecution, opinions, and litigation. His practice is concentrated in the areas of patent prosecution, client counseling, and development of validity and infringement opinions. Sam has extensive experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, particularly in the chemical and chemical process arts.
Sam’s specific technical expertise includes numerous areas of chemical related subjects, for example, nanotechnology, preparation of nanosized materials, automobile emission control systems, catalysts, polymers, propellants and coatings.
Prior to joining Capitol City TechLaw, Sam was an attorney with the law firms of Fitch, Even, Tabin & Flannery; Morgan, Lewis & Bockius; and Pillsbury Winthrop in Washington, DC. He lectured for several years at the Cushman Intellectual Property Seminar while associated with the Pillsbury Winthrop law firm.
Before entering private practice, Sam worked at Johnson Matthey, the world’s largest supplier of automotive emission control catalysts, in various positions including development chemist, technical liaison to the Big Three automakers, and as associate general counsel. He oversaw development programs for alternate fuels and engines in Brazil and Australia.
- Strategic Global Portfolio Management and Client Counseling
- Industrial Design Patents
- Freedom to Operate Analyses
- Patentability Evaluations
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Due Diligence Investigations
- Proceedings before the PTAB
- Firm Founding Member
- Chemistry Practice Group Leader